Our State-of-the-Art Library
The St. Thomas of Villanova School Library has nearly 7,000 items in its collection including picture books, easy readers, fiction, nonfiction, and biographies. Students in preschool through eighth grade use the library weekly.
PS3 & 4 – Children visit the library each week for Storytime.
K-2nd – Students begin the process that leads to independent library use. They learn how to locate, select, check out, and care for borrowed books, as well as basic book terms and concepts. Children learn the difference between fiction and nonfiction and the basic arrangement of both. First and second grade students participate in the Monarch Book Award program, an Illinois Children’s Choice Award.
3rd-5th – Students continue to enjoy fiction, nonfiction and biographies. They are introduced to Dewey arrangement and the online catalog. Students learn to use the Big 6 information problem-solving process, as well as print and digital reference tools. They explore a wide variety of literature genres and participate in the Bluestem Book Award program, an Illinois Children’s Choice Award.
6th-8th – Students review and reinforce all library skills as needed to complete classroom assignments and pursue individual interests.
Library Catalog and Online Resources
The library has a state-of-the-art library management system called Destiny. Using Destiny, our students can:
- access the library catalog and online resources at school or at home
- find books in their lexile range
- check availability and place holds on materials
- research classroom assignments with WebPath Express which will guide them to more than 100,000 safe, trustworthy, up-to-date, accurate and grade appropriate websites
- create Resource Lists to save and review articles for classroom assignments and automatically generate bibliographies
- view new arrivals and the Top 10 books at STV, keep reading lists, and recommend titles to other students
Students must login to their account in order to use this amazing resource. Signup is quick and easy. Email Mrs. McNally at firstname.lastname@example.org for your child’s username, barcode, and directions to set up a password that will protect your child’s account.